The Harbor Terrace Campground consists of the development of a 26-acre, oceanfront parcel with a campground to include:
- tent camping,
- tent cabins,
- recreational vehicle sites,
- boat storage,
- visitor-serving retail development,
- and pedestrian access to the beach.
The site is characterized by several geologic/geotechnical conditions that could constitute potentially severe constraints to the proposed project. That could include:
- a potentially active fault,
- several landslides,
- and areas of deep, undocumented fill due to grading activities associated with the site’s previous usage as a tank farm.
Earth Systems is providing geotechnical and geologic services for this project. Earth Systems recently completed a fault investigation intended to determine whether the fault crossed an area where visitor-serving structures are proposed. Earth Systems is also working with the design consultant to assess the compatibility of the desired campground lay-out with the known geotechnical and geologic site constraints, and to develop potential mitigation measures.